Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Woods by Laxmi Prasad Devkota

(This is a poem written by Laxmi Prasad Devkota, one of the greatest figures in Nepali Literature. It is titled Woods or वन in Nepali. It consists of sixteen melodious couplets. In this translation, I've attempted to retain the rhymes within every couplet and also to put it in a regular meter.)

Woods

Shedding tears I wept midst the woods of life;
Found not things my heart sought, among the rife.

Tear filled eyes suffering over broken hope;
Whence from this pain comes, where did else it rove.

Greed, masqueraded as sedulous charm,
Spoke showing gemstones, "Why your tears so warm?

"Your queen I'll be, in Palace of luxury"
"Morrow", said I, "dust and ash this will be."

Kuber said, "Work for me, I'll make you rich.
My servants sleep on a bed golden each"

I said, "Lord of wealth, your worth, I realize,
But priceless freedom of spirit is what I prize"

With golden crown on head, came coaxing Fame
"Follow me, brother, miss not this scheme.

"With neat outfit you come; be made renown."
I said, "I'll wear rags, but in truth I ground."

"I'll offer sweet apples.", Mighty Love stirred.
I said, "Serving mankind is my elixir."

Sage said, "Hold Samadhi, you'll see heaven."
I said, "I have my brothers to attend."

Indra said, "Rich is Heaven, full of light"
I asked to let me make the World all bright.

Said Pain, "Thorns prick" I said, "Flowers shall bloom."
Said Doubt, "Flowers wilt" I said, "They're well groomed"

Life said, "Gruesome War ! " I said, "Warrior's glad !"
Struggle said, "Hills ! " Said I "Hitch heaven's hat !"

Compassion said with warmth, "Why, then, you cry?”
I said, "I serve Mankind, but Time is shy"

"Who are your friends? Who go with you? Which land is your home?
What place do you seek, Traveler? With what news do you roam?"

"My friend is decent diligence. Courage comes with me.
All world's my home. To heart-land I roam with hues of Humanity".

1 comment: